Protection against leakage with the help of gas sensors and controllers from MSR-Electronic
Waste deposits are teeming with organic material that produces so-called landfill gas due to biochemical metabolic processes. It has a strong odour and consists mainly of methane (CH4) and carbon dioxide (CO2). It also contains hydrogen sulphide (H2S), nitrogen (N2) and trace gases.
Methane is one of the most significant greenhouse gases and is driving global warming.
Therefore, landfill gas entails certain risks and is at the same time a danger to people, climate and facilities.
Certain compositions of hydrocarbons such as methane with atmospheric oxygen are explosive.
For this, methane must be present in concentrations between 4.4 % vol and 16.5 % vol and an oxygen content of at least 12 % vol in the mixture.
Other gases such as hydrogen sulphide are toxic.
Gas warning systems from MSR-Electronic provide reliable protection. The methane gas formed is collected at various points on the landfill site in gas wells (measuring point 1) and transferred to a pipeline system (measuring point 2). In most cases, the gas is conducted to a CHP unit (measuring point 3) for conversion into electricity.
Monitoring of landfill gas in residential areas
It often happens that old, buried domestic waste landfills produce methane gases after decades and thus affect the environment and the quality of life of residents in nearby residential areas. Here, too, action must be taken retrospectively.
MSR-Electronic has various methods of gas detection. On this basis, MSR-Electronic develops individual gas sensors and controllers for many applications, such as parking garages, tunnels, petrochemical industry, laboratories and medical facilities, as well as for the waste disposal industry, where toxic or combustible gas concentrations can form.
MSR solutions for fixed gas warning systems
Measuring devices for gases protect people whose workspaces are located in danger zones. The PolyXeta®2 is a microprocessor-based gas sensor with 4–20 mA / RS-485 Modbus output signal, alarm and fault relay. It monitors the ambient air to detect toxic gases or the oxygen concentration by means of an electrochemical sensor element.
For sensors without LC display, calibration is done via the handy calibration device STL06-PGX2 or the PC software PCE06-PGX2. Sensors with LC display have an integrated calibration routine that is started from the outside with a permanent magnet without opening the housing. In addition, the background lighting changes from green to red in the event of an alarm or error.
- ATEX 1/2 and IEC Ex certificates (for electrical Ex protection)
- Metrological test & SIL2 safety functions 4–20 mA, RS-485 and relays
- For zone 1/2: Type “Ex db” with flame-proof enclosure
- For zone 2: Type “Ex nA” protection
- Enclosure: additional FM and CSA certificates for Class I,
- Continuous monitoring
- Microprocessor with 12-bit converter resolution
- Self-monitoring system and easy calibration
- Calibration service by exchanging the sensor head
- Proportional 4–20 mA output
- Serial interface to the control center
- Reverse polarity protection and overload protection
- Options: LCD display with status LEDs and/or alarm and fault signal relay
Further information on MSR products can be found:
- in the current MSR-Electronic online catalog
- on the solutions page for gas detection systems for waste disposal
- in the webshop www.msr-24.com