MSR-Electronic from Pocking equips data centre in Nantong with gas sensors.
With digitalisation and the energy transition, the demands on data centres and their processing and storage capacity have also increased continuously. While the energy required for backup systems was usually obtained from conventional energy storage systems such as diesel generators, renewable energy storage systems such as lithium-ion batteries and hydrogen fuel cells are now increasingly being used.
Since lithium-ion batteries release hydrogen when overheated or damaged, it is particularly important to continuously monitor the ambient air. In this way, dangerous leaks can be detected at an early stage and safety accidents and explosions can be avoided.
In the course of this, the Alibaba Group also uses gas sensors from MSR-Electronic for H2 gas monitoring in the data centre in Nantong. As one of the world's leading providers of internet application solutions Alibaba is one of the first in the world to use regenerative energy technologies in the construction of large data centres. The explosion-proof gas sensor from MSR-Electronic makes a significant contribution to safety protection in the data centre.
Why is the detection of hydrogen so important?
Hydrogen is an optimal energy carrier, but difficult to transport. Since H2 is a very reactive gas, the extreme danger of hydrogen leaks lies in the oxyhydrogen explosion. In order to ensure maximum safety for people and plants, constant monitoring by a gas warning system is therefore mandatory throughout the entire life cycle.
Solution from MSR-Electronic
For safe and reliable H2 gas monitoring and ambient air monitoring, stationary PolyXeta®2 gas detectors are used in the data centre.
The PolyXeta®2 gas detector PX2 is generally used in the industrial sector, such as in the oil and gas industry and in the petrochemical industry, as well as in biogas plants and power stations in potentially explosive areas of zone 1 or zone 2.
It is also ideally suited for use in commercial areas such as gas transfer stations and for use on ships, shipyards and offshore platforms.
ADVANTAGES OF THE GAS SENSORS
- ATEX and IECEx certificates MSR-Electronic for electrical explosion protection
- SIL2 for the safety functions 4-20 mA, RS-485 and relay
- PX2-1 for zone 1, variant "Ex db" type of protection flameproof enclosure
- PX2-2 for zone 2, "Ex nR" variant Type of protection
- Enclosure: Additional FM and CSA certificate for Class I, Div. 1
- Continuous self-monitoring, microprocessor with 12-bit converter resolution
- Reverse polarity protected, Overload protected, Easy calibration
- Calibration service by replacing the sensor head
- Proportional 4-20 mA output, Serial interface to control centre
- Alarm and fault signal relay
- Optional: Connection of sensor head SSAX1 alternatively to SX1, IP66 protection with accessory SplashGuard, LC display with status LEDs.
The entire support and commissioning of the gas detectors was carried out by the certified MSR partner Wanland Automation Equipment in Shanghai.