Reliable gas measurement by MSR-Electronic in various industrial areas
The applications in the field of gas detection are largely unknown to the general public but surround us much more often than we can imagine:
- Carbon monoxide in parking garages
- Chlorine in swimming pools
- Methane and propane in laboratories and test rooms
- Generally lack of oxygen in confined spaces
Toxic gases are by far the most dangerous as they are not infrequently odourless and colourless. Very often these hazards do not seem to exist as part of our daily lives and yet they are real. Toxic and explosible gases must be detected early enough to allow the evacuation of people, but also the activation of safety systems.
Leakage monitoring from MSR-Electronic
In the following project, fixed gas warning systems were installed by MSR-Electronic for a large, internationally active manufacturer of gas meters, safety fittings and control components for heating equipment in Northern Germany.
40 gas detectors (type WSB2 from MSR-Electronic) are used in a newly built technical centre, mostly for leakage monitoring the Lower Explosion Limit (LEL) of methane and propane with regard to the risk of explosion.
Laboratories and test rooms are monitored, where prototypes of burner control systems are intensively checked.
The laboratory controls its solenoid valves of the gas supply and also the ventilation system via the relay contacts of the gas warning system. In addition, the personnel in these areas are warned visually and acoustically in the event of a gas alarm.
MSR-Electronic: Solutions for perfect gas detection
The Warning- and Sensor-Board (WSB2) with RS-485 interface, 4-20 mA output and alarm relay is used for measuring, leakage monitoring and warning of dangerous gas concentrations in stand-alone operation or in combination with the DGC-06 system from MSR-Electronic.
Up to 3 different sensors (digital and/or analog) can be connected to the board via local bus. Alternatively, one ATEX-compliant gas sensor can be plugged in the board.
The digital gas sensors are connected to the local bus via a plug connection enabling simple sensor exchange instead of an on-site calibration. The internal X-Change routine recognizes the exchanged sensor during the exchanging process and automatically starts the measurement mode. An LED indicates the correct procedure of the exchange operation.
- Digital measurement value processing incl. temperature compensation
- Internal functional control with integrated Hardware Watchdog
- Up to 3 different sensors (analog or digital); or 1x ATEX-compliant SSAX1 sensor
- Software & hardware according to SIL compliant development process
- Modular technology (plug-in and replaceable)
- IP65 version
- Easy maintenance and comfortable calibration thanks to X-Change technology
- Serial RS-485 interface with protocol for DGC-06 or Modbus
- 1x sensor can be placed via Remote Board (RB2) at a distance of 5 m for adaptation to required mounting height (option)
- 4–20 mA analog output
- 1x alarm relay, 1x fault relay, configurable as an alarm relay in addition – both with change-over contact, potential-free max. 30 V AC/DC, 0,5 A
The planning, installation and commissioning was carried out by the certified MSR Partner Gawado Gaswarnsysteme GmbH.
Further information on MSR products can be found here in the current MSR-Electronic online catalog or in the webshop www.msr-24.com.