Today, the University of Vienna is one of the oldest and largest universities in Europe as well as the largest research and educational institution in Austria. The universities of Padua and Genoa were the inspiration for its construction. With 20 faculties for about 90,000 students, the University of Vienna offers the most diverse range of courses in the country.
CO gas detection from MSR-Electronic and MSR-Austria for protection in the event of gas leakages
Many of the University of Vienna’s satellite campuses use gas boilers for heating. In this process, gas is burned to heat water, which is used for heaters and/or hot water. For increased safety in the event of carbon monoxide leakages, gas warning devices from MSR-Electronic Germany were installed in addition.
In this way, increased gas concentrations in the ambient air can be detected as quickly as possible and employees can be warned in time via acoustic signals. All persons are thus requested to leave the rooms immediately.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly toxic, odourless and colourless gas. It is produced during combustion processes, e.g. in a gas boiler. Since carbon monoxide cannot be perceived through the senses, affected persons do not notice when they inhale the toxic gas.
Hence, Multi-Sensor-Controllers (MSC2) with integrated warning buzzer and status LED from MSR-Electronic were installed at approx. 40 locations of the University of Vienna for the secure CO gas detection. The gas measuring devices comply with EN 50271. MSC2 Controller is a gas measuring, warning and controlling device based on the state-of-the-art micro-technology for continuous monitoring of the ambient air to detect toxic and combustible gases, refrigerants or oxygen. It is designed for warning against gases in many commercial and industrial applications.
The following features distinguish the MSC2 Controller:
Internal function monitoring with integrated hardware watchdog
- Hardware and software according to SIL compliant development process
- Modular technology (plug-in and exchangeable)
- Reverse polarity protected, overload and short-circuit proof
- Local bus connection for 2 sensors SC2 & 2 analog inputs 4–20 mA, for e.g. MC2 series (max. 3 sensors in total)
- 3 relays with SPDT contacts, potential-free max. 250 V AC, 5 A
- 2 transistor outputs, 24 V DC, 0.1 A (plus switching)
- Serial RS-485 interface with protocol for DGC-06 or Modbus protocol
- Different housing types with IP65 protection
- 2 digital inputs
- Display (option)
- Warning buzzer and status LED for alarm, fault, operation and service (option)
- Acknowledgment button (option)
- Operating voltage 230 V AC with wide range input 100–240 V AC (option)
- UPS (option)
- Conformity to: EN 50271, IEC/EN 61508-1–3
- ANSI/UL 61010 1 & CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 61010-1 (option)
Cost-reduced calibration due to sensor head exchange on site
Thanks to the X-Change technology, calibration can be carried out by simply exchanging the sensor head or by using the integrated, convenient calibration routine directly on the system.
Further information on MSR products can be found here in the current MSR-Electronic online catalog or in the webshop www.msr-24.com.